Cornwall County Council

Cornwall County Council (Cornish: Konteth Konsel Kernow) was the county council of the non-metropolitan of Cornwall. It came into its powers on 1 April 1889 and was abolished on 1 April 2009.


Cornwall County Council was formed on 1 April 1889. 

From 1974 the county had six districts: Caradon, Carrick, Kerrier, North Cornwall, Penwith and Restormel (a borough). The Council had its headquarters at Old County Hall in Station Road, Truro until it moved to New County Hall at Treyew Road, also in Truro, in 1966. The County Council and the District Councils were replaced with one unitary authority known as Cornwall Council on 1 April 2009.

Notable members

Joseph Trewavas VC (1835–1905)

Sir Edward Bolitho, Chairman 1941 to 1952

Sir John Carew Pole, 12th Baronet, Chairman 1952 to 1963